Sep 11, 2013, 7:33 PM EDT
Amidst the controversy surrounding the Oklahoma State football program (and Sports Illustrated’s reporting on the Oklahoma State football program), Yahoo! Sports released its own improper benefits expose on Wednesday, alleging that five SEC football players, four former and one current, violated NCAA amateurism rules during the course of their college careers.
Named in the report is Eagles defensive tackle Fletcher Cox, who played at Mississippi State from 2009-2011.
As evidence, Yahoo! “was able to authenticate text message records, Western Union fund transfers, banking statements, flight receipts and other financial material linking both [former Alabama defensive end Luther] Davis and the five college football players. Yahoo Sports also found that three NFL agents and three financial advisers engaged Davis in transactions totaling $45,550.”
Yahoo Sports authenticated airfare purchases tied to former Mississippi State football stars Fletcher Cox and Chad Bumphis. Davis’ records included a receipt showing he paid for airline tickets from Birmingham, Ala., to Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Priced at $1,259.20, the tickets were issued in the name of Davis, Cox, Bumphis and former Mississippi State defensive back Johnthan Banks. From the records Yahoo Sports reviewed, it appeared that only Davis, Cox and Bumphis took the flights. The flights were purchased on Dec. 23, 2011, and the travel took place from Jan. 3-6 in 2012.
The records included baggage receipts issued when Bumphis and Cox checked luggage during the return portion of the flight on Jan. 6. The baggage receipts listed the same confirmation number as the receipt issued to Davis for the flight purchases.
Cox’s agent, Todd France, declined comment.
No hundred-dollar handshakes? No drugs? No sex? No rap songs?
The guy took a flight? That’s it?
New hashtag: #FreeCox. Let’s get T-shirts made up.
For Yahoo’s full report, click here:
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return