Apr 23, 2013, 2:55 PM EDT
There has been a ton of
speculation about the Eagles possibly looking to move down from number four
overall in the first round of the NFL Draft on Thursday. The latest on that
story from the Inquirer’s Jeff McLane describes general manager Howie Roseman as
actively shopping the pick.
According to McLane’s sources,
Roseman has contacted at least two teams about a potential swap, with the
caveat that the Eagles would be looking to move down if they don’t like the choices
once they’re on the clock. McLane believes the decision may be fueled by the
availability of offensive tackles Luke Joeckel and Eric Fisher, who both might
be off the board by No. 4.
An earlier report by Geoff
Mosher described the Eagles as “willing” to trade down, and Roseman admitted previously
that there was communication with other teams.
Perhaps it is in some way a
smokescreen. Or perhaps Roseman is simply feeling out the market. The Eagles
like to consider all of their options, so the news is anything but a sure sign
they will deal.
It’s a question that has been
brought up a lot though leading up to the draft. Will the Eagles trade out of
the fourth pick? Should they?
A little while back, Mosher
debated the topic with Reuben Frank. Mosh argued the Birds should move back,
possibly even out of the first round entirely, stockpiling selections in what
is considered to be a deep draft. Roob thinks they should stay put and take the
best player available because it’s rare (for most franchises) to be up so high.
Personally, I never much
understood the thought process behind why a front office “should” trade down.
Shouldn’t that decision be based on what the offers are like in most instances rather than a
If the Eagles get a return on No.
4 that they can’t refuse, so be it. I don’t think many people are going to have
a problem with that. What they shouldn’t do is move down just because it’s a thing to
That said the discussion might
be moot anyway. The Raiders are one spot ahead of the Birds, and without a
second rounder in this year’s draft may have a little extra incentive to accumulate
additional picks. Teams looking to jump into the top five may want to go above
Philly, or risk watching someone else leap in there.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return