Oct 11, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
Crazy news coming out of Tampa Bay on Friday. Three players on the Buccaneers roster have contracted MRSA—a strain of staph infection that’s resistant to some antibiotics—including two new cases just this week.
How serious is the outbreak? The NFL may have to move Sunday’s Bucs-Eagles tilt.
ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that the Players Association may advise the league to move the game in order to prevent the infection from spreading. As of now, they are awaiting word from the Duke Infection Control Outreach Network on whether or not the disease has been contained.
Per Bucs beat writer Roy Cummings for the Tampa Tribune, the league denies there has been any conversation about canceling the scheduled contest. Tim McManus of Birds 24/7 added via NFL spokesman Greg Aiello that the game is not likely to be postponed either.
Also per McManus, the Eagles are still planning to travel to Tampa Bay on Saturday.
Strange story that probably doesn’t have too much of an impact on the action on the field, unless of course cancellation were to become an option. If you happen to be traveling for the game though, you’ll want to be sure to keep abreast of this situation in case the game is moved to an alternate time or location.
Details are sketchy at best at this point, but there are some obvious concerns in Tampa Bay’s locker room right now.
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|willh888 on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Gregg on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|bruiserbrigade on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money