Aug 10, 2011, 7:05 PM EDT
Well, the Eagles have inked another Pro Bowler this off-season, agreeing to terms on a one-year deal with wide receiver Steve Smith, formerly of the New York Giants. Smith underwent microfracture knee surgery in December, and his now former coach, Tom Coughlin, says he has “a ways to go” before being ready to play again, so he will likely not be available at the start of the season, perhaps even starting off on the PUP list.
Still, it’s hard not to be excited at the possibility of adding a healthy Smith to the mix at some point this season. Hell I’m even just glad he’s not a Giant anymore.
Smith’s Pro Bowl season was 2009, when he hauled in 107 receptions for 1,220 yards and 7 TDs. He played in just nine games last season, and microfracture surgery can pose a difficult and sometimes unpredictable recovery schedule. His possibilities as an Eagle range from non-factor to late- and postseason hero, and he won’t cost much in either case.
Before you ask, we’re not sure what this means regarding the mysterious health situation of Eagles receiver Jeremy Maclin, who hasn’t practiced yet at Lehigh. It doesn’t change much regarding the short-term outlook for Maclin, since Smith doesn’t appear ready to get on the field any time soon. But long-term? That remains to be seen, as we still await word on Maclin’s availability to start the season and beyond.
Update: Reuben Frank’s Eagles source says Smith’s physical went well, and the team believes he can be ready by mid-season.
Mike Garafalo’s twitter timeline is full of info as well, including that the deal is for $4 million, with $2 million guaranteed, and that Smith does not agree with Coughlin’s statement as to his being far away from playing, stating that he could be out there in the next few weeks. We’ll see.
Photo: US Presswire
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money