Feb 3, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
Some of them you liked. Some of them you disliked. Some of them you “got.” Some of them you didn’t “get.”
But all of them cost $4 million per 30 seconds of air time … plus their respective budgets.
Selected ads below.
Leon Sandcastle Is the New Jesus Shuttlesworth
Malik Rose loved it, but couldn’t say the same for that God/Ram/Farmers ad.
That farmer commercial was THE BIGGEST WASTE OF MONEY!!!#BOOOOOOOO👎👎👎👎👎
— Leon Sandcastle(@MalikRose) February 4, 2013
Red M&M Finally Explains What Meatloaf Never Would
Meatloaf claims the lyrics are unambiguous, but that he knew they would cause an issue. I’m not getting into it, just give me the red M&M crying and hugging something. I’m easy that way.
Oreos, and Is That the Library from the Breakfast Club?
It has to be right? Look at it. As stuff got more and more out of hand I thought for sure Paul Gleason was coming in at the end.
Where were I miss you, Paul Gleason.
When Not-Sex Doesn’t Appeal: Congratulations GoDaddy
These two didn’t include the tease of nudity, and they’re the best two commercials GoDaddy has ever done. Give me something else — like Bar Raefeli and this guy. Guy killed it. Way to go, guy.
See also: YourBigIdea.co
Hey Amy Poehler Being All Amy Poehler
I remain unconvinced the Cloud isn’t the fore-bearer to the Matrix. You think that’s air you’re breathing?
Who Authorized the Budget for This?
Budweiser Is Trying, But Will You Do the Same?
Golden Wheat, Lime, Platinum and now Black Crown. The price point remains key. At some point, you’re either buying cheap beer or your spending a little more for something better. And if you’re spending a little more for something better — unless Bud has come up with a game-changer — you’re not buying their product. That said, I’m a beer snob.
Stevie Wonder Gets His Revenge for Your Jokes about His House
You could say their love of football blinded them. “That”ll do.” “Right.”
Two Things I’ll Never Get Tired Of
A Clydesdale on Super Bowl Sunday … and “Landslide.”
There Are Always Animals
The Doritos goat wasn’t bad either, but it underwhelmed compared to their past efforts.
Eat Great Even Late … in Life
There was a brief period of my life (Oct. 2011) where I only stopped playing Batman: Arkham City long enough to make it Taco Bell by 11:59 p.m. Two beef baja chalupas, a hardshell taco and an order of nachos and cheese. Consequently, I will never reach the age of those depicted in the ad above.
Samsung, as the expensive, postmodern alternative to Apple
Paul Rudd, Seth Rogen and LeBron James are all aware that they’re in a Super Bowl ad as they’re brainstorming ideas for a Super Bowl ad that they’re aware they’re in as they’re in it.
At two two minutes, this one — assuming the link at the top was correct, and not counting the cash to Rudd, Rogen and Bron — set Samsung back $16 million.
And I think that’s the best place to leave it, because other than introducing a new product — a la Budweiser — that’s a lot of money for what seems an unclear benefit.
Admittedly, I have no background whatsoever in advertising. I just know that a nacho-cheese-chip producer is out $8 million, and it had no impact on how much I do or do not want a Dorito.
Your bests and worsts?
|Bob on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|Bob on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|t800m101 on Mason out: Ray Emery is your F…|
|Barbara Bruce on Michael Carter-Williams is you…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money