Apr 4, 2012, 11:44 AM EST
One day after Jason Peters had “successful” surgery on his ruptured Achilles tendon that should keep him out for the season, the Eagles have come to terms with free agent left tackle Demetrius Bell. Actually, we’re being informed his name is Demetress. Seriously.
Details are still flying in, and we’ll continue to update as they do, but five years is surprising — though it likely is that long in name only.
Bell was considered by many as the best left tackle in free agency this year. However, there is a reason he was still available three full weeks after the market opened. He’s missed a lot of time with injuries in two out of the last three seasons since replacing Peters in Buffalo, and isn’t exactly an elite player to begin with.
Still, the Eagles needed to do something, at least add some depth. Bell gives them a proven, three-year starter on the outside. It will be interesting to see how the numbers shake out on the contract, but this should calm some folks down for the time being.
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mostel on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return