Jul 25, 2012, 1:28 PM EST
The eternal battle for Philadelphia’s column inches continued on Wednesday, as the Eagles refused to let the Phillies and Cole Hamels hog the spotlight. GM Howie Roseman went out and made a headline-stealing splash with the acquisition of one Mat McBriar, punter. We can’t wait to see the cover of the Daily News tomorrow!
The signing of a two-time Pro Bowler like McBriar spells bad news for second-year incumbent Chas Henry, unless the former Dallas Cowboy aggravates an injury to his plant foot between now and the end of training camp.
Henry posted some of the worst numbers in the league for punting in his rookie season, ranking 29th in average distance (42.9 yds), 33rd in net average (36.9), and 25th for kicks inside the 20 (19). It sounds like they’ll compete for the job, and maybe Henry shows some improvement, but beating a healthy McBriar will be a tall challenge. Via Reuben Frank, McBriar has the fourth-highest average distance in NFL history among punters with at least 400 attempts.
While bringing in McBriar on a one-year deal is nothing earth shattering, the Eagles are trying to tie whatever loose ends they can heading into this season.
The team worked out Visanthe Shiancoe for a backup tight end spot, but he ultimately signed with the Patriots. Things seem to be off with Jeremy Shockey at the moment, so Clay Harbor should remain the number two for now, but don’t rule out an addition there down the line as well.
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|db21 on Connor Barwin says Eagles used…|
|2sentz on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages