The Eagles May Not Have Drafted a Fireman This Year But This Guy From New Zealand In Camp Has a Pretty Crazy Story
May 30, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
There were no 26-year-old fireman taken by the Eagles in the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft but that doesn’t mean they don’t have any crazy stories about a player who is pretty old for a rookie and has barely ever played organized football in his life.
Reuben Frank has the story today of 27-year-old New Zealand native Nic Purcell who never even stepped onto a football field of any kind until he was 24. And that was at a junior college. He didn’t go to junior college in California to play football though, he just went to get an education and study kinesiology. But being a giant 6-6, 255-pounder walking around campus can get you an invite to come play football at those kinds of places.
He started on the defensive side of the ball but quickly moved to offense after coaches told him he had the potential to be great there. He played two seasons at left tackle and excelled, drawing the attention of Division I schools like Chip Kelly’s Oregon. He was even going to make a visit and maybe attempt to transfer but the NCAA stepped in and did NCAA-like things and blocked his eligibility because he played some organized sports but didn’t get paid over in New Zealand back in the day.
So a Division I football career was not in his future but that didn’t stop Kelly from inviting him to Eagles’ rookie camp.
With his college career ending abruptly, Purcell faced an uncertain future. But Kelly thought highly enough of Purcell to invite him to the Eagles’ rookie camp in late April as an unsigned tryout player.
And Purcell, now 6-6, 300 pounds, showed enough to earn a contract and a chance to remain with the team throughout the offseason.
Needless to say, with only 21 games of football experience, it’s been challenging.
Pretty wild story. Obviously this guy faces a gigantic challenge in actually making it onto the 53-man roster, but the fact that he’s got a chance alone is amazing.
You should really go read Roob’s story to hear this kid tell his tale.
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
|Jim on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return