Sep 16, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
It’s been so long since Philadelphians have experienced good safety play, they might not recognize it if they saw it. On the other hand, we’ve become connoisseurs of sorts when it comes to bad safety play, and Sunday at Lincoln Financial Field was something of a tasting festival.
I’m not going to add too much more (at least by my standard) salt to the freshly picked-open wound that is Nate Allen. He was a step behind everything, as was his occasional replacement Earl Wolff, and Patrick Chung wasn’t exactly spectacular at the other spot, either.
All anybody really needs to know about the safeties in the Eagles’ 33-30 loss to the San Diego Chargers in Week 2 is Philip Rivers completed 36 of 47 passes for 419 yards and three touchdowns. Too often those completions and gains were happening in front of a safety – usually Allen.
To be fair, the front seven was complicit in all of this. The general lack of pass rush from the defense made it like shooting fish in a red Solo Cup for Rivers.
How bad did things get in the secondary? Not bad enough to scour Broad Street for a replacement, apparently. After the game, Chip Kelly assured Eagles fans that it most certainly does not get any better than this, so Les Bowen you should probably just stop asking mmkay?
Somebody laughed at me the other day in the comments when I suggested Kurt Coleman get a chance in there. Does it still sound funny right now? Yeah? Okay, you’re probably right.
Still though, some pass rush might’ve gone a long way here. Consider this King Dunlap’s version of revenge, I guess.
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money