Nov 20, 2012, 10:12 AM EST
We were just kidding about the headline. Sure, it’s probably true, but it was our favorite from a great piece by Sports On Earth’s Mike Tanier on the “five NFL analysis tropes that need to go away.”
A team’s running back gaining a hundred yards and that team winning wasn’t even one of the main give listed (honorable mention), but I feel like it is the most common type of thing we tend to see in Philadelphia. When Shady carries the ball XX times per game the Eagles are [lots of wins]-[not as many loses].
If you want to get a math-minded football fan or analyst ticked off,
tell him that some team is 35-2 when their running back rushes for over
100 yards. Everyone knows that teams run more often when they have the
lead, so the statistic above is exactly backwards: the running back’s
yardage is the effect, not the cause. This trope is the speed bag that
stat guys pummel when they are trying to make names for themselves as
football experts (personal experience!).
The other analytical tools he hates are the “Quarterback Is/Is Not Elite” article, Young Quarterback Proved He Was Leader in 13-10 Win piece, and He’s Not the Fastest or Most Athletic, But He’s a Blue Collar Throwback.
Worth a read.
>>Enough Already! [SoE]
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return