May 22, 2013, 3:29 PM EDT
Chip Kelly maintains his quarterback competition is truly open, that there’s no one or two on the depth chart, but a photo of a document that was floating around the Internet on Wednesday says different. A reader of the popular blog Bleeding Green Nation attended the 2013 Philadelphia Eagles Academy for Men over the weekend, from which an “unofficial depth chart” listing Nick Foles as the starting quarterback emerged.
The depth chart (image) had other eccentricities, such as fourth-overall pick Lane Johnson at right tackle despite Dennis Kelly taking first-team reps at practice. It also listed Brent Celek as the number one tight end, with James Casey at fullback despite the fact that the latter is not a standard position in Kelly’s offense. The defensive sheet (image) listed Kurt Coleman and Colt Anderson as the starting safeties, and showed a standard 4-3 alignment.
And unlike, you know, almost any depth chart we’ve ever seen, this one only listed the starters. So what gives?
Jimmy Kempski of Blogging the bEast and other fame eventually got to the bottom of the story. As it turns out, the unofficial depth chart was typed up by a marketing person who organized the event, without input from the head coach we should add.
As Jimmy observes, if it were up to that guy Foles apparently would be the starting quarterback over Michael Vick. And whadaya know, I don’t think his fake depth chart is too bad after all.
|psudrozz on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money