Dec 7, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT
After missing three games with a rib injury for the second consecutive season, Michael Vick returns to the lineup on Sunday to lead the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked against the Miami Dolphins. Although it’s doubtful he can save their season, the next four weeks are very important for the Eagles quarterback anyway.
As Always, Your Postseason Update
Wouldn’t it be funny if, after everything that’s happened, the Eagles wind up making the playoffs? No? You’ve seen that one before? Well technically it is still possible. Here goes…
If the Birds win out, and neither the 7-5 Cowboys or 6-6 Giants finish better than 8-8, Philadelphia miraculously becomes division champs.
Sounds like a fairy tale in contrast with how they played all season, but you never know when Vick will capture lightning in a bottle. After Miami, the Eagles have the Jets (7-5), Dallas, and Washington (4-8) — not a real imposing slate, so they’ll play these out and hope for some help.
Vince Young, You’re Fired
Regardless of whatever is left to play for, it doesn’t seem like too many people will be sad to see VY back on the bench. There may not be a more unlikeable player on this team, and he bottomed out last week in Seattle, heaving four picks.
His stretch of relief probably wasn’t as bad as how it will be remembered. All the same, we’ve seen enough.
Get What You Paid For
Even if the season were mathematically over — and once it officially is — Vick is the franchise quarterback. He doesn’t get to hide on the shelf inside the trainer’s room until the nightmare is over, pretending his 14 turnovers never happened.
Win or lose, Vick can still put on a show with the best of them. It’s a show the fans have already paid their hard-earned money to see, and a show the Eagles are handing over sacks with dollar signs on them to Vick to perform.
Not that we’re accusing Vick of ducking games. The man has a competitive spirit to rival the best, and if he can play, he wants on that field. This is just in case there is any notion out there the Eagles should shield him from further injury, and get ready for next year.
What Do We Have Here?
Last and perhaps most important, these final four games it’s critical to evaluate Vick. There is no denying the sharp decline in the quarterback’s play since he’s taken over the job. He’s gone from MVP-caliber to puzzling remarkably fast.
Vick is 3-8 over his last 11 starts, committing 19 turnovers during that span. By comparison, he’s thrown or rushed for 15 touchdowns over the same stretch. On the whole, his passer rating has plummeted to 79.8 in 2011, only a few points better than what he posted for his career in Atlanta.
Obviously, Vick is coming back next season. His salary is fully guaranteed, and the very soonest they could even consider getting out from under his contract is 2013.
That scenario isn’t out of the question though. If Vick doesn’t elevate his play over these final four games, the Eagles have to give serious consideration to what the future at their quarterback position is. Given the prospect of a top 10 pick in April, they should even consider drafting somebody right away.
Which guy is he — the one who energized the Eagles’ record-setting offense for the first three-quarters of last season, or the guy who hasn’t been able to get out of his own way ever since? The ball is back in Vick’s hands now.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return