Sep 12, 2012, 1:29 PM EST
He’s going to play it safe. He’s going to sell out on every play. He knows he doesn’t have to be a one-man show. But he’s a football player.
On and on and on and on…
The latest update in the on-going “Mike Vick can’t make up his mind about just what kind of quarterback he wants to be” saga appears to have Vick willing to take on all defensive comers — again.
“I sorta said to myself, ‘You know what? Stop worrying about playing not to get hurt,’ Vick told Albert Breer about how the shot he took against the Patriots changed his mindset. “Two weeks in a row, against Pittsburgh and New England, my mindset was just to play cautiously and not get hurt and get through the preseason to the regular season. And I just told myself, ‘I can’t play like that.’ I can’t play with so many different things on my mind. . . .”
We figured that out Sunday, when he threw four picks. Some of the analysis after game included a critique that Vick’s decision making was so alarmingly bad not because of rust, but because he really couldn’t make up about what kind of quarterback he wanted to be.
After all this talk about his style, there’s just too much of me left asking: Why is this even a problem? Shouldn’t Vick’s natural gifts actually make him more adept at getting out of dodge, rather than putting both himself and the football in jeopardy?
In his pseudo-defense, he was under fire at times — although some of the pressure he brought on himself by holding the ball. Moreover, the loss of Jason Peters might continue to expose him to nasty shots in the pocket, much like those he received from the Browns. That’s not going to help no matter what his football IQ.
But at some point is it fair to conclude that — both inside and outside the pocket — he’s just poor at making decisions with the football (holding the ball; throwing across his body) and his own health (refusing to slide with his legs first) regardless of whatever mindset he’s talked himself into playing that week?
Where are you on Vick and his persistent identity crisis?
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return