Dec 2, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
With a hard-fought win over a tough Arizona Cardinals squad, Nick Foles’ record improved to 5-1 this season. He’s now thrown 19 touchdowns to his zero interceptions. So are the Eagles any closer to naming the 24-year-old their franchise quarterback of the future?
You bet. One week after officially naming Foles the starter, Chip Kelly was so moved by his signal-caller’s performance against the Cardinals, the head coach declared a 1,000-year reign for No. 9 in Philadelphia.
In the words of Samir Nagheenanajar, it would be nice to have that kind of job security.
Of course, there’s always a catch, just like the time Chip said Michael Vick could lose his job as the Eagles’ starter if Foles threw 27 touchdown passes in a game, which the man must have a crystal ball or something because that totally wound up happening. This most recent statement is conditional on Foles staying healthy, which will prove increasingly difficult in old age and, in particular, the afterlife.
Reporters are just doing their jobs when they ask Chip for clarification on the future of the quarterback position, but the endless speculation on this topic has reached its limit for now. It’s already quite clear that Foles has played himself into the conversation to say the absolute least, but it’s one the front office won’t hold in earnest until this season is over, so we can probably do without the weekly hand-wringing from here on out.
Foles is under contract for two more years. He’s going to be here in 2014 unless Peyton Manning gets cut (hey, it happened before). And Foles is going to remain the starter as long as he leads the league in passer rating, continues racking up wins and, yes, stays healthy.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return