Aug 8, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
We typically try and steer clear of arguments about which sports city is the “best” or the “center of the universe,” but hey, somebody picked us for once. ESPN Page2′s DJ Gallo makes an argument for Philly over Boston as the “sports capital of the world.” Another guy argues that Beantown, with their plethora of championships over the last 10 years takes the crown, but that’s all in the past.
Philadelphia sports are the talk of “next.” They’re the current hype.
Has Boston won an unprecedented number of titles this decade? Sure. Good
for them. More history for an historic city. Philadelphia’s one title
in 27 years — a span of more than 110 major league seasons — is just
as relevant as anything Boston has done. Because we’re talking about now.
The Bruins’ title is old news. The Celtics’ and Red Sox’s “recent”
titles seem like they happened decades ago. And the Patriots’ long-ago
Super Bowl wins may as well have come in the age of leather helmets.
He then goes on to cite the Phillies having the best rotation in baseball, the “mega-superstar” Hunter Pence, the prize of the NFL free agent class, and Jaromir Jagr and a new goalie. All things Boston doesn’t have! But, uh, Tim Thomas.
Anyway, it’s a fun read, and could make for some good arguments with my buddies from Boston College. Still, you can’t argue with championships, but the future seems awfully bright in Philly sports.
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money