Apr 20, 2013, 3:11 PM EDT
The Flyers were eliminated from playoff contention –
technically, mathematically, and otherwise this time – by virtue of a Rangers
victory on Friday, marking the first time since 1994 that all four major
professional sports franchises in Philadelphia missed the postseason in
We wrote about this in greater detail back in March, when it
was already becoming increasingly apparent this could happen. To summarize, the
Phillies, Eagles, 76ers, and most recently the Flyers have all failed to
qualify for a playoff berth in the past year, which last occurred beginning with
the ‘93 Eagles, and ended with the Flyers in ’95.
It’s debatable which streak is actually worse. The nineties-era
dark ages include the Eagles twice, although there is still time for this year’s
Phillies to extend the nightmare. Also, the Phillies didn’t actually miss the
playoffs in ’94, they were canceled due to the strike – I’m not entirely sure
which is worse.
If the Phils don’t come through, it could be awhile before
one of the teams breaks this up. The Birds should be improved, but not to the
point where we can count on them making the playoffs. There are no easy
solutions for the mess the Sixers have gotten themselves into.
Scary thought: this curse could easily cycle around back to
the Flyers – unless the Union can save us. Does that count?
Four teams, four seasons over all too abruptly. Your misery
is officially justified.
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return