Sep 24, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
Before the 2012 NFL season ever kicked off, most Philadelphia Eagles fans never thought twice about the Eagles decision to ship Kevin Kolb out to Arizona for DRC and a second round pick. Aside from getting a huge payday, Kolb’s tenure in the desert had been a miserable one, losing his starting job to John Skelton along the way.
And during that time in Philly, Andy Reid was supposedly grooming Mike Vick into becoming a mature, hard-working quarterback that many believed could lead the Birds to the Super Bowl.
Then they started playing football this season.
CSN’s Reuben Frank had some fun after yesterday’s Eagles loss to the Cardinals playing the what-if game. The tables have turned quite a bit after just three games into the 2012 season. Roob lists the key talking points:
Since replacing an injured John Skelton on opening day — just like Vick
replaced an injured Kolb in the 2010 opener against the Packers — Kolb
has led the Cards to wins over the Seahawks, Patriots and Eagles and
their first 3-0 start since 1974.
He’s thrown four touchdowns,
and for the first time in his career, he’s gone three straight games
without throwing an interception.
Kolb’s passer rating is 108.6, Vick’s is 66.3.
Kolb has committed zero turnovers, Vick nine.
Holy crap that last one is eye-popping. Vick has nine turnovers in three games.
I’ll admit I have been pretty pro-Vick in the past and never thought he’d be so careless with the ball. I always bought into the “man, the bounces just really aren’t going his way” argument when a tipped pass would get picked or he’d hurt his ribs. And to his defense, Vick is getting beaten up like the hanging hunk of meat in Rocky. He takes a beating every single game.
The things that worry me the most are the carelessness with which Vick seems to take care of the ball and the lack of awareness of what’s going on around him in the pocket. If he has one bad game where he coughs it up, you can live with that. But this is three-straight weeks.
Is he never going to learn?
Kolb has obviously had quite a bit of success early this season after looking lost for much of his past. Roob says the two quarterback’s career paths are diverging, and perhaps they are to some extent after just three games into 2012.
In playing with Roob’s what-if game, and you could have one of these two quarterbacks to lead your team to the Super Bowl, knowing what we now know, who you got?
Vick of Kolb?
>>Kolb makes you wonder: what if? [CSN]
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
|kirk on Video proof that Wayne Simmond…|
|Andrew Kulp on Counting Down the Eagles’ Need…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return