Sep 16, 2011, 4:22 PM EDT
This oughta be fun. The Flyers have finally named their captain for the upcoming season, placing the C exactly where everyone expected it might go, on Chris Pronger’s chest. Pronger’s A’s will be Danny Briere and Kimmo Timonen, both of whom have served as captains with their previous teams.
While the Pronger captaincy comes as no surprise given that many believed big #20 was the de facto captain both on the ice and in the locker room even while Mike Richards was wearing the C, the relatively long wait to name him after Richards was traded was more protracted than we anticipated. Hopefully this confirms the reports that Pronger will be ready to play on or near opening night.
Never afraid to be vocal, Pronger will no doubt be ready with quip after quip following each game. If you weren’t a fan of Richards’ often lifeless responses to media questions, Pronger is the antidote. However, his act can wear on some too.
Interestingly, in the wake of the trade of two “faces of the franchise” in Richards and Jeff Carter, I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone ask about experience or leadership despite the team gaining some youth and inexperience as a result of the deals (they also got some vets in Max Talbot in Jaromir Jagr). With Pronger, Briere, Timonen, plus Scott Hartnell, Talbot, Blair Betts, Braydon Coburn and others, there is probably no shortage of guys who will be willing to step up and show the younger players a veteran example as the new team takes shape.
|galasso2586 on What happens on April 4th,…|
|eaglegreen on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return