Oct 29, 2011, 8:46 PM EDT
Flyers captain Chris Pronger met with reporters during the first intermission of Saturday night’s game against the Carolina Hurricanes, giving an update on his progress in healing after a scary eye injury during the week. Pronger was quick with the jokes, teasing at least two members of the media and throwing in a little Dirty Harry routine. It’s what he said first that concerned me though.
Transcript and a few comments below.
Q: How do you feel, Chris?
“Very good. Thanks, Tim. Back’s a little sore.”
Q: Were you scared, Chris?
“Yeah…usually when your head goes numb, it’s a sign of something wrong. I couldn’t see so I really didn’t know what was going on.”
Q: Can you see progress each day?
“Well, I think that is the eye doctor’s job to see that progress. I don’t think its stuff you can see cosmetically, just looking at me. It’s more just stuff inside the eye, swelling and bleeding and stuff like that.”
Q: Do you hope to get back on the ice?
“It’ll be up to the doctor.”
Q: Do you feel lucky?
“Yeah. I mean, it could have been a lot worse. I don’t know if I feel lucky getting hit, but it certainly could have been a lot worse. We have seen a lot worse instances.”
Q: How is your vision right now?
“Well, I can see you. I see a large shape. Some would say transparent and some would say translucent. I don’t know, you pick. It’s not bad. It’s still a little blurry because of the eye drops and things that I have to take to relieve some of the swelling and pressure.”
Q: How do you feel about wearing a visor and will you wear one the rest of your career?
“We are getting a little ahead of ourselves. I’ve got to get back on the ice first.”
Q: What is your stance on visors?
“You don’t want to know my stance. That’s for another day.”
Q: What about wearing one five to ten minutes each day?
“I wear sunglasses. That’s probably pretty good.”
Q: So did Ray Charles?
“Yeah. Well, is that who you are comparing me to, Tim? That’s pretty mean spirited isn’t it?”
Q: On the team’s recent games
“I haven’t watched too closely. I kind of had it on and off sporadically. I think just our attention to detail in our own zone and making sure we do all the little things that allow you to win hockey games. We need to get back to that.”
Q: Will you continue to be a voice in the locker room?
“Yeah, when I am there. Sure.”
Q: Do you have an idea when you would like to be back?
“I have no idea. This one is not in my hands.”
Q: Have you been continuing regular workouts at all?
“I have been bedridden for four days, and you didn’t pick up on my back comment I guess. Today, I road the bike gingerly for fifteen minutes. It allowed me to get up and move around. As we go everyday, I will probably do a little bit more.”
Q: Have you been watching a lot of TV?
“I have been catching up on a lot of television, yes. It’s all I got right now. It’s a little blurry at times, but yeah.”
Not wild about the fact that Pronger’s back is sore. It was the first thing that came to mind when I heard he’d have mandatory bed rest and limited activity for a while. His age wasn’t a factor when he broke his hand last season nor when he took a stick to the eye this season, but getting off of his normal exercise and workout routine is definitely a situation to be monitored over the next few weeks.
The news is currently pretty good though, and we’re happy enough to hear that.
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return