Jan 26, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
The NHL.com twitter feed sent out a link earlier today to a recent interview with Claude Giroux in Men’s Health Magazine.
Given how spoiled we were at getting the chance to see behind the scenes during HBO’s 24/7 series, it’s nice to get another peak inside the life of a Flyer – especially one as important to the franchise as Giroux.
Select quotes on Scotty Hartnell’s All-Star bid, the scene at Buddakhan, whether he has a shot with Minka Kelly and Sean Couturier’s beat up Jeep after the jump…
On what he’s learned from playing with Jaromir Jagr:
He just thinks the game differently. Offensively, it’s kind of weird the way he looks at the game. It’s different, but good. The things he says on the bench, the way he watches the other team play, and the way he adjusts his game. No matter how the other team plays defense, he always finds a hole. It’s pretty amazing to watch. He also works out at night, and sometimes he even works out after practice. He’s always working on his shot and all the little details. He’s one of the last guys off the ice all the time. He’s a great leader out there.
On superstitions and rituals:
On game days, I shoot pretty much the same way in warm-ups. And if I have a bad game, I won’t wear the same shirt and tie combination. Sometimes before games I like to listen to a little AC/DC. I actually had a chance to go and see them when I was back home, and they were great. And of course we still play Knock Knock by Mac Miller after every win—we’re sticking to that.
On guys who he would have liked to see make the All-Star team (prior to Hartnell’s eventual invitation):
Yeah, Scotty Hartnell. He’s worked so hard off the ice. With the way they pick the players, obviously it’s tough. He’s having a career year, though. I think he’s one of the best power forwards in the game, and one of the most underrated players in the league. He’s also one of the best chirpers—he really gets into it with the other guys. It’s hard not to laugh.
On the actress he’d most like to see at the Wells Fargo Center for a game:
Man, probably Minka Kelly—is she still with Derek Jeter or what? I’d invite her for sure.
On where he likes to eat on his days off:
I love Buddakhan. They have so much great stuff. Ever since the HBO documentary aired, though, we go to more low-key places. We’ve got lots of young players, so we’ll still go for a few beers here and there, but nothing too crazy.
On who has the least impressive car in the players’ lot:
[laughs] Sean Couturier is still driving his old Jeep. He’s a rookie, and he doesn’t want to change. He’ll keep that thing going as long as he can.
For more, check out the full interview at Men’s Health.
Maybe Claude should invite Minka over to listen to some tunes…
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money