Nov 20, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
At first, Claude Giroux’s injury wasn’t serious.
Well — it still isn’t serious. But it might be. So he’s coming back to the U.S. for tests to make sure it isn’t. In case it is.
Here’s what’s certain: Claude Giroux was diagnosed with a minor neck injury while playing for his German club over the weekend. According to the Ottawa Sun, via Tim Panoccio, Giroux is flying back to Ottawa and then heading out to meet with a concussion specialist in Atlanta.
What was originally diagnosed as a “minor neck injury” could be worse, perhaps a concussion, though no one is actually saying that. Still, that can’t be ruled out of any head hit.
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren told CSNPhilly.com that all he knows is that Giroux is returning for “evaluation and precaution” for what was “diagnosed” as a minor neck injury.
Berlin general manager Peter Lee told the Ottawa Sun that Giroux is being evaluated for a concussion because he was not “feeling right” after taking a high elbow to the head.
Claude Giroux tells me, “I’m fine, I’m just making sure that I am 100 percent,” with these precautionary test that will be done in ATL
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) November 20, 2012
Giroux missed four games last December after sustaining a concussion in a game against Dallas, when the back of his head made contact with a teammates’ knee.
Flyers fans, beat writers and probably front office personnel are all sensitive to anything that is or even sounds like a concussion.
For now, the team’s best player — and the guy Peter Laviolette calls the “best player in the world” — only has a minor neck injury. He says he’s fine. And I rather enjoy the line above, that “[it] could be worse, perhaps a concussion, though no one is actually saying that.”
Whether its anything more than the original diagnosis is a wait and see game. One would think that if they weren’t concerned, he wouldn’t be coming back. Then again, an abundance of caution can be a good thing.
Except for when it makes you wait and worry.
|yishmeister on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|コーチ アウトレット 正規品 on A Comprehensive Guide to the B…|
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money