Oct 30, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
Today’s comment of the week involves pig farming. But before we get to that! Don’t forget to mark your calendar for the January 23rd Level meetup and Flyers watch party we’ll be having at Smith’s Restaurant and Bar located in Rittenhouse in Center City. All the cool blogger nerds will be there.
If you’ve never been to Smith’s, they have some pretty killer specials during all NFL games (including Thursdays): $4 Harpoon drafts, $10 pizzas, and some great $5 food specials like guac, boneless wings, or chicken nachos.
This week’s winner of a $25 gift card to Smith’s is a guy who once worked on a pig farm in New Zealand. Gotta reward that kind of effort. Congrats, PhillyNZ, who wrote in about our reflecting on the 5-year anniversary of the Phillies World Series victory.
I was working on a pig farm in New Zealand, during a kind of year-long overseas experience. I would drive 45 minutes from the farm to the nearest mall, where I would order a coffee at a cafe and get an hour of free internet, during which I would read and respond to E-mails for about 10 minutes and then read everything about the games for the next 50. I couldn’t get internet any other way. I was able to watch Game 4 at a friend’s house who had a sweet TV package, and because it was a national holiday that day (all the games happened around lunchtime in NZ because of the time difference, and I had to be working then). I loved every bit of it.
The next day when I went to the coffee shop to find out if they had won it all, I was disappointed the game was suspended. I E-mailed my mom to send me a text when/if they won it all. When I didn’t get a text the next day, I thought they had either lost or the text didn’t go through, so I raced to the coffee shop after work only to find out that it was still suspended. The next day, around 1:30 or 2pm, while I was filling the wallowing holes for the pigs with water, I finally got the text from my mom (who had to learn how to send a text, by the way): “Phillies win!!” It was awesome. I was all alone, halfway across the world, but I was just as happy as everyone in Philly that they won.
New Zealand was great (if you can afford it, go), but that was one of the highlights.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money