Nov 6, 2013, 3:27 PM EDT
Since our big The700Level.com meetup at Smith’s Restaurant and Bar on January 23rd (RSVP here!) will be in conjunction with a Flyers game being shown on the TVs, we thought it was time to award our comment of the week to one of you guys dropping knowledge about the orange and black.
We go to 2sentz’s post on the “perpetual myth of Flyers bullying” in which BenE was in strong agreement. After some niceties:
Recently, I have seen people scapegoat Rinaldo, Sestito, Shelley, and Rosehill as problems when the team isn’t successful. It’s such an easy out to point fingers at those guys, because they only get 4-8 minutes a night. But that’s just it: they don’t see the ice that much. The Flyers weren’t faring any better last season when Wellwood, Zolnierczyk, and Fedotenko were getting those 4-8 minutes, so how can Rinaldo et. al. be the issue?
No, fans need to start calling out the scorers who aren’t scoring, and the defensemen who aren’t playing good defense. The “goons” are the least of the Flyers’ worries right now. Rinaldo and Rosehill aren’t goons anyway. If you want a goon, look at Steve MacIntyre. At least our boys can skate, backcheck, and forecheck, which YES, are viable hockey skills. No one is “stuck in the 70s.” Not everyone is a 20-goal scorer.
So congrats, BenE on your $25 gift card victory. Spend it wisely.
And just a reminder to you all about Smith’s in Rittenhouse: If you’ve never been, they have some pretty killer specials during all NFL games (including Thursday nights): $4 Harpoon drafts, $10 pizzas, and some great $5 food specials like guac, boneless wings, or chicken nachos.
Check them out one of these days. You won’t be disappointed. And maybe you’ll bump into us at the bar.
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money