Apr 15, 2011, 9:07 PM EDT
With the Flyers ready to get underway in the NHL playoffs tonight at the Wells Fargo Center, fans could be in for a notable addition to the arena music. No, we haven’t heard that they’ll stop playing Black Eyed Peas before the game, but there appears to be a strong possibility that the “DOOP song,” formally known as “Maria (I Like It Loud),” will be part of the in-game experience in some form. The DOOP song is the song you hear at PPL Park after the Union score, although it is used elsewhere and is not specifically unique to the Union or PPL Park. However, it has become a huge part of the Union experience (more on that story here), with the team’s ownership even trademarking the word.
I’m not sure yet what place it will take in Flyers games, but I’ve heard it could possibly even be the new goal anthem, replacing Bro Hymn.
I’ve been unable to get any confirmation from the team so far, but Bryan James, President of the Union’s Sons of Ben supporters group, told me that he’s heard Danny Briere requested that the Flyers front office use the song after goals. James says that the Flyers contacted the Union about it, and the Union front office in turn contacted the SoBs, adding that it was classy of the Flyers to inquire regarding their interest in possibly using the song.
Would Flyers fans be OK with a possible change to the team’s goal song? Hard to say. One thing I’ll add is, while the song would surely be seen as borrowed from another team, the same was true of Bro Hymn, which was in use by the Anaheim Ducks and in other sporting events before the Flyers began using it here.
|Gerald on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
|Brian on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
|willh888 on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|clubberlangphila on Michael Carter-Williams is you…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money