Oct 18, 2011, 10:50 PM EDT
What a night from the youngsters, eh? On the postgame following the game Rick Tocchet called Tuesday’s 7-2 win in Ottawa a “drubbing” and that pretty much nailed it.
The Flyers jumped all over the Senators early, netting four first period goals while Bob kept things scoreless after one. This one was all about the new guys, with rookies Sean Couturier and Harry Zolnierczyk tallying their first career NHL goals in the victory. Harry Z’s was so pretty that he became a trending topic on Twitter worldwide. Which makes you wonder, does having a name that’s absolutely impossible to spell help your cause in trending by people abbreviating it to the super cool “Harry Z?”
While Bob wasn’t tested a whole lot early on, and eventually allowed a couple of goals, he also showed that he’s a real solid option for Peter Laviolette to give Ilya Bryzgalov regular rest. After a slow first period, Bob was tested quite a bit in the second and held his own. [video highlights below]
The Flyguys played well in all facets of the game on Ottawa. The power play was scoring and the PK was fantastic on the back of Kimmo Timonen.
The goals the Flyers scored were certainly highlight-worthy. Matt Read put the first of the game in on an absolutely no-angle shot past Auld after showing how dangerous his speed can be. Wayne Simmonds followed that up with a nasty turn-and-rip after fighting for the puck. Claude Giroux continued the scoring with a ripper of his own to make it 3-0. Max Talbot netted his first goal as a Flyer to finish off the period.
4-0 after one and this thing was pretty much over. Nice to see Couturier and Harry Z get on the board late. Jaromir Jagr will score one of these days, you watch.
A 7-2 win tonight to move the team to a fantastic 4-0-1 to start the season. Gotta like what you’re seeing from your Flyers early in October.
An exciting matchup with the undefeated Washington Capitals on Thursday night in South Philadelphia is up next.
Matt Read’s sweet tough-angle finish:
|Eng E on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JJ on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|nahroots on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
|Howie on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money