Jun 11, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Welcome back to the Philadelphia area, Dan Quinn.
Everybody remembers Dan Quinn, right? The 13th overall pick by Calgary in the 1983 NHL Draft and journeyman center spent two separate seasons with the Flyers, playing 67 games for the Orange & Black in 1991-92, and another 35 during the 95-96 campaign. He wore numbers 10 and 11.
Quinn wound up finding the back of the net 266 times over his 14-year career, tacking on an additional 419 helpers. As it turns out, he’s one hell of a golfer as well, winning the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship five times — take that, Tony Romo.
[ For more of The700Level's 2013 U.S. Open coverage, click here ]
And this week at Merion, Quinn will be carrying Ernie Els’ bag in the U.S. Open. I think I just found somebody to root for in this thing. Via USA Today blog For The Win:
“He is a good friend of mine,” Els said in a media conference Monday. “I met him when we moved down to Palm Beach, to Jupiter. And we played a lot of golf together. He loves the game and he’s a huge competitor, as you can well imagine, playing in the hockey league for such a long time. He loves the game. He loves ‑‑ I don’t know if he loves my company all the time, but he’s a good friend. I think we’re having a good time. We haven’t quite found our rhythm this year yet. But we’ve had some really good finishes.”
Quinn, 47, has been a part-time caddie for Els since 2010 and will work at least ten tournaments for him in 2013. Quinn played for eight teams in his 14 season NHL career, scoring a career high 40 goals with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1987-88.
Eww, the Penguins. Nonetheless, Quinn is also a former Flyer, and playing a key role in the Open this week. Good luck to Els, who is chasing his fifth major championship.
|Matt S. on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|galasso2586 on What happens on April 4th,…|
|eaglegreen on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return