Feb 15, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr turns 40 years young today and NHL.com caught up with the Flyers veteran to talk about what keeps him working so damn hard to be the absolute best player he can as his career winds down. We’ve heard about the legendary work ethic and extremely late night practice sessions Jags likes to employ, but I learned a few more nuggets that make me admire the future Hall of Famer even more.
For instance, having around the clock access to the Flyers training facility was written in to his contract with the orange and black. Basically, the guy didn’t want to sign with a team that wouldn’t allow him to work hard enough. Amazing.
He’s also lives a very healthy lifestyle with no boozing or smoking. However, we do happen to have one thing in common with the hockey legend: he’s addicted to Diet Coke. Even drinks it during games. Somebody get that guy an endorsement deal pronto.
The best part of the post by Adam Kimelman was when Jagr simply talks about what keeps him working so damn hard after all these years.
to love the game so much that even if you’re tired, you still have to go
there. Sometimes I don’t want to go run at night, but I know if I don’t
do it, tomorrow I’m going to feel worse than I did the night before.
That’s what’s pushing me.
“When you don’t fear anything and you think everything is going to be
OK, then what’s the reason to do it? When there’s fear that you’re going
to feel a lot worse, that’s pushing you. And I know if I don’t do it
today, tomorrow’s not going to get better. There may be a five-percent
chance you’re going to feel better (by taking a day off), but there’s a
95-percent chance you’re going to feel a lot worse … and you still
have to do it the next day anyway. I understand that, and it’s tough to
do that, especially when you struggle. You have to have the will to do
it, even if your body doesn’t want to. You still have to push yourself
and work even harder. If I’m not able to push myself, I think I’m going
to quit. When you feel tired and you don’t push yourself, it’s time to
retire because you’re not going to get better. There’s no miracles.
You’re not going to wake up the next day and feel 10 years younger.”
I think Jack Nicholson said a beautiful women made him want to be a better man, but damn it if Jaromir Jagr doesn’t inspire you to work a little harder.
|2sentz on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return