Mar 22, 2012, 4:35 PM EDT
The Flyers face a Washington Capitals team this evening in a similar position to that of the Florida Panthers team they faced on Tuesday. Washington is battling for the division lead while also possibly fighting for the final playoff spot. Alexander Ovechkin is heating up just in time to face a Flyers team that he’s performed well against throughout his career with 22 goals in 25 games.
“It’s another desperate hockey team that needs to win a game,” Lavvy said of tonight’s opponent. “We’ve got to win some games ourself here, so it should be a great hockey game.”
NHL’s Adam Kimelman points out the dominance Ovie’s club has had in Philly over the past few years: “Caps are 8-1-2 in last 11 games in Philly. Haven’t lost in regulation in Philly since Dec. 20, 2008.” Let’s fix that.
Ovechkin has been hot, scoring five goals in the Caps’ last four games. While the goal is to win every night they step on the ice, the Flyers know that first place isn’t out of reach and that gaining momentum heading into the playoffs is important.
“We want to finish as high as possible. I don’t think first place is even out of reach at all,” Scott Hartnell said. “I think it’s five points, we play [the Rangers] once. We win that game it’s down to three points. We play Pittsburgh twice. We’re trying to think finish as high as possible. I know it may be a little out of reach but it’s something we’re trying to keep our minds on for sure.
“The team with the most momentum, the confidence, the swagger I guess you could say, going into the playoffs is the team that usually goes on a bit of a run,” Hartnell added. “It happened to us a few years back, we went to the Finals, winning the last game in the fashion that we did. We did everything but win the Stanley Cup.”
Looks like Bryz will get the start tonight. Dude has been a beast. Hopefully they can continue to limit opposing scoring while also regaining their own production.
Time to get some of that swagger going tonight at the Wells Fargo Center. 7:00 puck drop against the Caps.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return