Apr 20, 2011, 12:27 AM EDT
The Flyers responded in a big way following
their 1-0 loss on Thursday night. They earned a much needed 5-4 win on
home ice, evening the series at a game apiece. There was no real rhythm
to the game, as the officials apparently were getting paid per whistle
The teams were a combined 3-18 on the power play. I don’t know about
you, but I was losing my mind with all of the penalties. It’s playoff
hockey, let them play five on five. I don’t want to see a series
determined by special teams play.
A wild first period ended with the teams tied 3-3. Claude Giroux got the
Flyers going early as he stick-handled through three Sabres before
beating Ryan Miller up high. It was vintage Giroux. Things got out of
control after that as Thomas Vanek evened the score. Dan Carcillo then
punched home a rebound to put the Flyers up 2-1. Vanek and then Sekera
scored to put the Sabres up 3-2.
Bob was pulled after the third goal, giving way to Brian Boucher. JVR
closed out the first period scoring with a nice drag move in the slot
before unleashing a wrist shot which beat Miller. The up and down play
was a far cry from the tight defensive affair we saw in Game 1.
Goal scoring-wise things settled down after that. Ville Leino did
what he does and held the puck longer than you’d ever think possible. He
used a Sabre defenseman as a screen before beating Miller to the short
side. Danny Briere’s skate redirected a Scott Hartnell point shot to put
the Flyers up 5-3 heading into the third.
The Sabres, unable to take advantage of three third period power
plays, pulled to within a goal thanks to a goal manufactured by their
fourth line. Rob Niedermeyer whipped a puck across the crease, which
Cody McCormick banged home.
The Flyers clamped down after that and hung on for a crucial 5-4 win.
We’ll have lots more on the fallout of Bob being pulled, the Flyers
continued struggles on the power play (they finished just 1 of 10 with
the man advantage), and the day-to-day status of Chris Pronger.
The series resumes in Buffalo on Monday.
|Rob on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|al on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Eng E on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|JJ on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money