May 3, 2012, 2:55 PM EDT
Today’s game day post is a special guest edition by none other than Flyers Goal Scored By. These are his words:
Webster’s Dictionary defines ‘mulligan’ as: “A turd of a hockey game that leaves way too many unanswered questions.” The Flyers were frustratingly casual on Tuesday night, gift wrapping a winnable game for the New Jersey Devils. Instead of a comfortable two game lead, the Flyers woke up to the fact that this Devils team is good and advancing to the Eastern Conference Final will be no cake walk.
Oh how fickle playoff hockey can be. Up 1-0, dreams of a L.A. Kings vs Philadelphia Flyers Stanley Cup series fluttered through our heads. Now tied 1-1, we’re casting doubts on a once great powerplay and wondering where the dominating Flyers have gone. The Flyers had great success generating a forecheck against the Penguins. Add a Marty Broduer-sized wrench (Editor’s Note: That’s a big wrench) in the works and you start seeing problems. Devils are clearing their zone with ease, something that needs to change in order for Philadelphia to be successful. At this point of the series, Chooch is hitting more than Scott Hartnell and Wayne Simmonds. The Flyers need their sandpaper to muck it up in front of Broduer and to get that forecheck going. You saw Simmer and Schenn doing work in the Devils zone on the Matt Read goal on Tuesday night. This is the type of Jam that Laavy likes to smother on his english muffins on Sunday mornings. Give him his jam, Flyers. Give. it. to. him.
The biggest doubt I have about this series is wether or not the Flyers can win a game where they don’t have to score more than 3 goals. That may be a roundabout way of chirping Ilya Bryzgalov, but Philly’s goalie wasn’t the issue on Tuesday night. Bryz kept a lethargic team in the game with a lead for 2+ periods. If the Flyers can get that performance out of Bryz tonight, they’ll be in good shape to grab a victory. The Bryz Cadet gets a lot of flak when he let’s in a softee like Sykora’s pillow in Game 1, but his control in game 2 should give Flyers fans hope of grabbing a game or two in North Jersey.
Can the Flyers play a sound enough game defensively that won’t require them to *have* to put a snowman up on the scoreboard? That is looking like the question of the series.
So pay the tolls, feather your hair and acid wash those jeans, we’re headed to North Jersey. The Devils already look to be a tougher opponent than the Penguins in almost every area. It’s up to the coaches to adapt their gameplay and for the players to muster enough emotion to take this series back. Playoff JVR playing in his backyard? Fuggedaboutit. Bartender, first round is on us, let’s giddy up and f*cking go!
Let’s Go Flyers.
|psudrozz on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money