Mar 31, 2012, 12:26 PM EDT
The Flyers open the front end of back-to-back games this weekend this afternoon, hosting the Ottawa Senators at 1PM before heading to Pittsburgh for a possible first-round preview tomorrow. The Senators currently hold the seventh seed, having fallen off the Northeast-setting pace of the Bruins, who appear locked into the 2-slot. Ottawa can still be caught from below though, with Washington and Buffalo each only 2 points behind them and battling for the final spots in the East. Unlike the recent games against Tampa, Montreal, and Toronto, today’s opponent has something huge to play for.
The Flyers can hit the 100-point mark with a win, but they’ll have to do it without Ilya Bryzgalov, who will also likely miss tomorrow’s game.
No Bryz Kid This Weekend
The Flyers say Ilya Bryzgalov is doubtful for this weekend, but he did put in a practice yesterday and could return for Tuesday night’s game against the Rangers. With little to play for outside of momentum and a shot at home ice, I’m pretty sure no one in any Flyers circle is interested in rushing Bryz back. It would be nice to get a win against the Rangers though, and keep him sharp for what’s bound to be a tough opening round.
Sergei Bobrovsky was solid in the 7-1 win over the Maple Leafs on Thursday, but he wasn’t tested much. The Flyers have been effective in sealing off opposing shots, a fine goalie-independent trend heading into the playoffs. But, they did also allow some dangerous chances on turnovers and found their way behind the defense a few times. Jason Bac-a-chihuahua will likely be the backup again today.
Homer also said Kimmo should be good to go after getting some rest. Comes a time in every player’s career where he’ll need a break here and there to mend, and we’re there for Kimmo. Fortunately, that’s all for now.
Offense Is Alive and Well
True it was only the Maple Leafs, but the Flyers were downright menacing in their attack on Thursday. Danny Briere’s goalless drought is over, and the combination of the attention he’s drawing and his slick puckhandling/passing meant great things for his linemates.
It also allowed the top line to log fewer minutes. Scott Hartnell took a shot in the lower body and winced hard in pain, so we’re not sure if that factored into his paltry playing time. But, his linemates also saw little of the ice as the game wore on, so it’s probably nothing to worry about.
I Kinda Hate the Senators
Maybe it dates back to the epic line brawl in 2004, but there seems to be a fair amount of bad blood between these teams despite no real reason for rivalry. Let’s take a break and watch those, shall we?
Their games almost always get chippy, so today’s should be interesting. Will the Sens be conservative in their quest to stay out of the box (the Flyers are 5/15 in power plays in the season series), while the Flyers try to stay healthy and not take the bait of a lesser team?
Those things may be planned for, but plans have a way of disintegrating after a few facewashes and slashes.
G vs. Harts
EA Sports is pitting teammates against each other in their voting for cover of NHL 13. For the Flyers, that means Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell… Hartnell has a pretty funny twitter campaign going for fans creating covers (mostly #hartnelldown’s), but he has some stiff competition with G in his bracket. Who you voting for?
We’ll be at the Union and Sixers tonight, so you guys can be in charge of the recap. Cool?
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return