May 6, 2012, 9:42 PM EDT
Marginalized for much of the series after gaining the world stage against the Penguins, Claude Giroux was clearly agitated and playing with an edge in game 4 against the Devils. Unfortunately, it wasn’t always the helpful brand of agitation.
Although G scored on a shorthanded opportunity in the first period, he was upset over the lack of a slashing call on the play, and rightfully so. Marek Zidlicky made contact several times with Giroux’s gloves/midsection, yet the arm didn’t go up. We’ll take the goal, but considering the Flyers were killing a penalty, getting a call back would have been key.
With the Devils power play still alive, Zidlicky scored the tying goal. [video below]
Despite Zubrus having a clear size advantage (listed at 6’5 to Giroux’s 5’11) and Giroux not leaving the ice with his skates, meaning Zubrus’ head was lowered considerably, G’s shoulder did meet Zubrus’ head.
Accordingly, he was assessed a 2-minute penalty for contact to the head.
Almost as immediate, the discussion as to whether Giroux could or would be suspended began. We say no. He’ll have his clear anger working against him though.
Not that it would or should be a factor, but Zubrus also happens to wear a modified welder’s shield.
|Matt S. on Michael Carter-Williams is you…|
|FlyersFan on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|rw on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|willh888 on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money