Oct 6, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
had since May to do everything in our power to put a woefully
disappointing Flyers season and laughably poor postseason behind us. The
organization actually did just that—turning over the forward lines and
goaltender so significantly that the team that takes the ice tonight is
The good news is, last season is now officially in the past, and we
can stop talking off-season moves and start talking on-ice play. As we
discussed earlier today, the Flyers may have rebuilt over the summer,
but they remain a very exciting and talented team. Tonight’s opener and
the games over the next few weeks have added intrigue, as we finally get
to see how all the pieces will work together, and what the new guys are
capable of. A look at tonight’s Flyers lineup and some game notes
Your goalies tonight are Ilya Bryzgalov and Tim Thomas. The Flyers
are visitors in the home of the current Stanley Cup Champions, and they
have a lot to prove.
Although the Bruins obviously have some
outstanding chemistry and as good a team as there is in the NHL, there’s
no reason to think the Flyers won’t go into their barn and steal the
first game of the season. Peter Laviolette’s team was very good in the
preseason, and they’ll take the ice tonight with some momentum.
There will probably be some butterflies as well, with three rookies
in the Orange & Black lineup (Sean Couturier, Matt Read, and Zac
We expect to see a top line of Claude Giroux centering
JVR and Jaromir Jagr. Hoooooo yeah. Danny Briere will likely start by
centering Jakub Voracek and either Wayne Simmonds or Scott Hartnell. We
think that could be a pretty fluid situation until they find a group
with great chemistry. Whichever isn’t on the second line will join
Couturier and Matt Read on a high energy third line, with the fourth
line being of Max Talbot, Zac Rinaldo, and Andreas Nodl.
Hopefully everyone got a name tag at the mixer last night because there are a ton of new faces.
Pronger will play in the season opener, which quiets one of the biggest
concerns we had all summer, presumably paired with Matt Carle as usual.
Andrej Meszaros, Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, and I think Andreas
Lilja will round out the opening night defense corps. The press was
having some trouble nailing down the Matt Walker situation.
Hockey is back. LET’S GO FLYERS!
|yishmeister on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|コーチ アウトレット 正規品 on A Comprehensive Guide to the B…|
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money