Feb 29, 2012, 12:17 PM EDT
Leap Day! Wooooo!
Anyway, Happy 8th Birthday Simon Gagne. You were born on this day in 1980, which means this is just your eighth actual birthday without having to compensate by faking it on Feb. 28 or Mar. 1.
Though we’re sure the former Flyer would rather have been celebrating on the ice with Richie and Carter in the Kings’ 4-0 win over Minnesota last night, Gagne remains sidelined with yet another concussion.
On a more upbeat note let’s keep this between me and you and say Happy Birthday to JA RULE. He turns 36 today. Other notables born on the 29th include former Sixer Vonteego Cummings, goalie Cam Ward, motivational speaker Tony Robbins, entertainer Saul Williams, center Henri Richard, and the “Hebrew Hammer” Al Rosen. Oh, and the guy from Foster the People — him, too.
Ed Barkowitz has an excellent list on Philly.com of the important sporting events that have taken place on Feb. 29 since 1952. Our favorites include Wilt Chamberlain becoming the first player to receive both the MVP and ROY in the same year (1960), Hank Aaron becoming the first player to be paid as much as $200,000 in a season, Doug Collins getting in a fight with Willie Norwood (1976), Allen Iverson shooting 15-for-18 to drop 35 on the Mavericks 2000, and the Sixers’ hosting Harvery Pollack Bobblehead Night (2004).
Finally, RIP Dennis Dannell, the original guitarist of the band Social Distortion, who passed away on this day after suffering a brain aneurysm in 2000.
|brandonphilly on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money