Jan 6, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
We didn’t rush to write about last night’s finale of HBO’s fantastic series 24/7: Road to the NHL’s 2012 Winter Classic mostly because of the outcome of the game. The Flyers lost. It’s never as fun when you lose.
That said, the production on the HBO show was once again top notch despite the result of the game not being what we would have liked.
The finale had plenty of noteworthy moments: getting to see things like Lavvy decide that Bob would be his goalie for the classic and his reasoning behind it, Sean Avery wondering if he’d have to pay extra for more orange juice, Max Talbot showing that athletes aren’t robots when he returned to Pittsburgh, etc.
But my personal favorite from the finale was getting a chance to listen to Claude Giroux on the ice at Citizens Bank Park in the heat of the game. His asking Henrik Lundqvist if he could let him score just one goal was simply awesome. It showed that even the most skilled and talented of Flyers wants to score a goal in the Winter Classic just as badly as a kid playing his first hockey game.
(Giroux sticking up for his linemate Jagr after the unacceptable salute was also a personal favorite. It would have been so much better had the orange team won, however.)
The Love of the Game really came through on HBO. A job well done.
What will you remember most about the series? Clearly the love for Peter Laviolette in Philadelphia has only skyrocketed since the show first aired. Knock, Knock and “Typical Montreal” also entered our lexicon. And then there’s the Universe.
For more on last night’s finale, you can check out CSN’s recap.
|psudrozz on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money