Apr 28, 2011, 2:11 PM EDT
Prior to the opening round playoff series between the Flyers and Sabres, many fans in Philadelphia probably really appreciated and maybe even liked Ryan Miller for his efforts as Team USA’s goalie in the most recent Olympics, and respected him long before that as the type of goaltender the Flyers need to add. Six games into an opening round playoff series filled with trash talk, whining, and a few shutouts, however, I think any residual local love affair with Miller was dead heading into game 7.
So it was with plenty of enjoyment that we watched Miller get chased from the net in the playoffs for the first time in his career last night. Even more enjoyable was seeing Danny Briere give him a little pat on the back of the helmet after the game’s first goal, and especially Dan Carcillo punking him with a head fake later on. Videos after the jump.
Now, I don’t think Briere’s love tap on his ex-teammate’s head was meant in any dickish way, and Miller’s lack of any reaction more or less confirms that. They also seemed to share a moment in the post-series handshake line that likely resolved a disagreement from earlier in the series. But that doesn’t make it any less funny for us to see Briere skate behind Miller after a goal and give him a pat on his way through.
Briere won the faceoff and went to the net. Braydon Coburn’s point shot got there at about the same time, beating Miller. Danny coasted through the crease, and…
After the game, Briere said it was just a little excitement after the goal, that he didn’t say anything to Miller. He didn’t really need to…
There, there, Ryan. It’ll all be over soon.
Carcillo’s activity on the other hand left little to be pondered. Miller has been active in throwing punches and shoves all series, and he got his gloves up on Carcillo behind the net here. Chico knew better than to get physical in retaliation and instead gave him a head fake we could see from the upper deck:
There was some history between the two this series…
Oh, and both guys scored. Again. (Although Carcillo’s came against Jhonas Enroth.)
This game could not have been any sweeter after the roller coaster first six games…
|psudrozz on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money