Oct 28, 2011, 3:17 PM EDT
Long before there was Mama McNabb, the self-proclaimed “America’s Favorite Sports Mom” (talk about delusional…), another athlete’s parents were part of the Philly faithful’s lexicon. Eric Lindros was famously represented by his parents, who were reportedly very meddlesome throughout their son’s career, straining the young center’s relations with the Flyers’ front office, and particularly then-GM Bobby Clarke.
One of the fascinating aspects of the Alumni Game that will take place before the Winter Classic is for the first time since Lindros was traded, he and Clarke will be reunited. And while their bitter feud played out for all to see, and there wasn’t much that was left unsaid, give both men credit as they both sound willing to let bygones be bygones. ESPN was able to get their thoughts.
“I hope so for his sake,” Clarke said of Lindros. “Because he left with so much bitterness and so much anger. And I guess I did, too. I was bitter and angry, too. But once he was gone, I moved on, I didn’t care after that. Let’s hope we’re all mature enough now, enough time has passed and everything has healed.”
As for Lindros:
Lindros goes on to say his representatives were simply looking out for his interests and safety, so it seems neither he or Clarke will actually admit they were wrong — not that it matters. What matters is having them both on the ice for this celebration of hockey history in Philadelphia, and that the two of them can put the entire incident behind them once and for all.
Lindros did have one more thing to say about the game coming up.
We’re pumped, too.
As a side note from the same story, it appears Wayne Gretzky will not be a part of the festivities.
>> Lindros, Clarke hope to move on [ESPN]
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money