Jan 7, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
Danny Briere was a busy guy on Saturday. Not only did he score all three Flyers goals to earn his fifth career hat trick, but he even mixed it up in his third career fight. Thanks to Briere’s toughness and outstanding all-around effort, the Flyers were able to outlast the Ottawa Senators, picking up their two points in the final seconds of overtime.
It wasn’t pretty either. Briere had to get his hands dirty in this one.
Midway into the first period, Jakub Voracek started a rush out of the Flyers zone, avoiding a huge would-be collision in the neutral zone, and carried the puck across the blue line. He dished off to Briere, who was looking to unload on Craig Anderson. Briere fanned on the shot however, sending a slow roller in on Ottawa’s netminder.
The flub actually worked to Danny’s advantage. A seemingly stunned Anderson blocked the shot, but wasn’t decisive about covering it, laying out on the ice while the rebound kicked right back to Briere with the whole net to shoot at. 1-0.
The Sens pulled ahead 2-1 with goals in the second and third, but that meant it was Danny Briere time.
After failing to capitalize on their previous five power plays, the sixth time was the charm. Peter Laviolette called a timeout prior to an earlier PP, and as we’ve become accustomed, Lavy’s usage of the pause proved to be brilliant. The Flyers started to have sustained pressure on the advantage, which led to the eventual score.
During the attack, the Flyers were able to move the disc out of the corner to Kimmo Timonen, who had plenty of room to operate at the point. Briere deflected the blast, which took a second bounce off the stick of Ottawa D-man Chris Phillips, and bounced into the net to knot the score.
It appeared Briere’s deflection might have skittered wide were it not for the inadvertent intervention by Phillips, but those are the breaks.
Intense back-and-forth action during the overtime, but it appeared the game was headed for shootout. Then Danny Briere happened.
It was Voracek again on the set up, this time sending the puck along the back boards behind the net to Briere, who just chillin’ in his office. He swung it out and shot the backhand, which was stopped but not controlled. Briere kept working, jamming the puck past Anderson on the second try with 5.3 second remaining, sending hats to ice amidst chants of “Danny.”
Briere said of the hats and the ovation, “That was the best feeling. A hat trick in overtime, the game winning goal, winning the game I mean that’s all at once, all at the same time. That was a really good feeling.”
And don’t forget the fight. Briere must’ve taken exception to a cheap shot by Kyle Turris earlier on, when Turris delivered an unnecessary blow while Briere lay prone on the ice. Be sure to check out the video of Briere’s fisticuffs. It was a doozy.
The goals bumped Briere’s total up to 12 for the season. Also of note, he now has six goals in the three games when he’s fought.
Much of the talk will be about Briere’s fantastic individual effort, but this was also a very nice performance from Voracek, his second strong outing in a row.
Bryzgalov also played one of his best games in awhile, stopping 35 shots on 37 attempts. The goals he allowed both came on rebounds, one of those during a five-on-three advantage for Ottawa. Otherwise Bryz was stellar, and made some genuinely outstanding saves to keep overtime and the two points on the table.
Fun, memorable win for the Flyers over a team that coming in had won four straight, three of those after regulation. They’ll complete the home and home tomorrow in Ottawa at 5 p.m.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return