Aug 17, 2011, 9:59 PM EST
Earlier Wednesday, the Flyers announced via Twitter that they had invited center Michael Nylander to camp on a tryout. Nylander, 38 (39 in October), hasn’t played in the NHL since the 2008-2009 season, when he put up some pedestrian numbers with the Washington Capitals (9 G, 24 A in 72 games). But, he has previously been a very productive linemate of new Flyer Jaromir Jagr on two different teams, which “partly” played a factor in the team’s decision to bring him in, said Paul Holmgren to Tim Panaccio.
The best seasons of Nylander’s long NHL career came when he did some time as the center on Jagr’s line with the Rangers, spanning from 2005-2007. Nylander topped 20 goals and 50 assists in each campaign, and in 2005-2006, Jagr set Rangers records for goals (54), points (123), and a bunch of other categories.
Of course, that was a long time ago for both players.
It also involved Martin Straka for some stretches. The first thing that comes to mind upon hearing that Nylander would get a camp tryout with the Flyers is veteran Bill Guerin getting one last year and looking at times like he’d make the team before ultimately missing the cut and retiring. Guerin at the time would have seemed a more likely fit than Nylander does now, but Nylander has certainly earned a look.
Nylander was a cap casualty in Washington last season and was ultimately relegated to a pair of AHL loans. He suffered a very serious neck injury during a stint with the AHL Rochester Americans in October 2010.
Now cleared to play and perhaps end his career on a much higher note, Nylander will look to earn a spot with the Flyers, or at the very least, push a younger player to earn his in camp.
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return