Aug 19, 2011, 12:14 PM EDT
The Courier-Post reports that final details of the Winter Classic between the Flyers and the Rangers are still being ironed out and that local musical acts are being considered to perform before/during the game.
Luukko said the Flyers would be assisting the NHL in recommending musical acts for the Winter Classic pregame. Before the 2010 Winter Classic in Boston’s Fenway Park, the local band the Dropkick Murphys performed on a makeshift stage above home plate, followed by James Taylor crooning the Star Spangled Banner.
Boyz II Men, The Hooters, The Roots, Hall and Oates, Will Smith, Patti LaBelle and Pink are local musicians who might be considered as opening acts for the Classic.
Now, with all due respect to the Hooters, Patti LaBelle, and the guys in the sweater vests, the Roots are clearly the only option we can fully support as to excite a packed house in South Philly. We can, however, support Will Smith performing in a skit with the Phanatic. Mr. Jiggy With It seems like a perfect candidate to get tazed, or at least some popcorn tossed on him.
Aside from the Roots being a band that people still actually like, you could probably even make the argument they’re now the most mainstream by being the house band on Jimmy Fallon’s late night show. Plus, we know the Roots are actual Philly sports fans and have attended plenty of games at Citizens Bank Park.
Also of note in Chuck Gormley’s story, the Flyers are working out details to have more than just the Flyers play on the ice at CBP, including games with the Penn State men’s hockey team and also the Adirondack Phantoms. This could give way more people a chance to catch an outdoor hockey game in South Philly as well as give exposure to a new PSU hockey program.
You may also recall Rev’s post a few months back on other fun “wishlist” items for the Flyers playing a game in the Phillies ballpark, including notable items such as Ashbee Alley, a Phanatic driven zamboni, and ringing of the outfield bell after every goal.
Add on the Roots to wish list.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money