Oct 13, 2011, 1:52 PM EST
Tired of collective bargaining negotiations? Well, tough.
Because with the NFL just out of them and the NBA stuck in them, the MLB and NHL are coming up on deadlines of their own. Their CBA’s are set to expire on December 11, 2011 and September 15, 2012, respectively.
Specifically related to the NHL, Frank Seravalli has a piece in today’s Daily News about professional hockey players being in some cases prevented from earning their full salaries.
The NHL CBA—signed after a year-long lockout in 2005—holds that the players are set to earn 56.7% of all hockey-related revenues. However, in the event that the players’ salaries in a given year might actually exceed 57.6% of all revenues, a portion of their money is held in escrow, should it need to be later split with the owners.
For example, the players only took home 90.59% of their signed contracts in 2009-2010, while the remaining 9.41% was given back to the owners to ensure they received their full 43.4% of revenues.
If this is all a bit technical or you’re not really one for mixing sports and business or you already knew about this sort of thing, here’s a hilarious picture of Scott Hartnell looking more like Zach Galifianakis than Zach Galifianakis:
Photo Courtesy David Maialetti / Philly.com
|Ummmm on Union unveil new primary kits,…|
|bulldogmomanne on Before This Week, the Most Un-…|
|BirdGangT on With $13 million guaranteed, J…|
|RDawg44 on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return