Feb 2, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
Go to the tallest building you can find, stand at the base,
and gaze skyward at the top. That’s the kind of view the Flyers will have to
get used to if they don’t start winning some games fast.
With Friday night’s 3-2 loss, Philadelphia has replaced the
Washington Capitals as the worst team in the Eastern Conference, tied with the
Florida Panthers at four points apiece – and the Panthers actually have a game
on them. Now that the Flyers are one-sixth of the way through their 48-game
schedule, this is quickly becoming serious business.
Meanwhile, Saturday’s opponent was busy making moves to
climb out of the basement, something the Flyers might like to try. The Carolina
Hurricanes are coming off of a 1-0 victory over the Ottawa Senators last night,
giving them three victories in their last four tilts.
The Canes will stick with Dan Ellis in goal after he pitched
the shutout, dropping Carolina’s goals against per game from an unsightly 3.60
to a more manageable 3.00 in the process. The veteran Ellis is 2-0 on the
season, with a league-leading .977 save percentage and 0.75 GAA.
To make matters worse, Philly took another hit in the
scoring department on Friday. Wayne Simmonds will miss tonight’s game with head
and neck injuries following an elbow to the face, and will undergo more tests
on Sunday. The Flyers remain in 26th in the NHL in scoring, averaging two goals
Ilya Bryzgalov is making his third straight start in net, allowed
to play the back-to-back since the Flyers entered the stretch off of a two-day
hiatus. He’s been playing well for the most part, but his teammates hung him
out to dry in D.C., with two of his three goals allowed coming on breakaways.
Bryz’s record is now just 2-5 despite posting some decent numbers.
The Flyers are back in their own building after four
straight on the road, and will have a bit of advantage with the Hurricanes
being forced to travel up the coast to make the puck drop. The way the Orange
& Black sweaters have been skating though, those types of advantages may
not mean very much at all.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money