Apr 27, 2012, 1:00 AM EST
After the Rangers closed out the Senators in a dramatic game 7 finish, the Flyers’ second round fate awaited the winner of the Panthers-Devils matchup. Jersey got out to a 2-0 lead, but Florida would tie it to force overtime, and even that wasn’t enough. It took a few minutes into a second OT, but the Devils outlasted the Panthers, winning on a goal by Adam Henrique.
The Flyers-Devils series will start Sunday at 3PM with Philadelphia hosting. The Rangers and Caps will play on Saturday. So how are we feeling about the matchup? We’ll get further into it this weekend, but let’s a quick look below, plus the rest of the schedule.
First off, these aren’t the Devils that curdle the postseason blood of Flyers fans… The goalie may be the same, but he’s not the same goalie.
The two teams split the season series, the Flyers going 3-2-1. Each Philly win came with Ilya Bryzgalov in net, each loss with Sergei Bobrovsky. Two of the wins (the first and the last) were shutouts by Bryz. The Devils scored on him just once in three games.
Claude Giroux had four goals and three assists in the six games against the Devils.
In the regular season, New Jersey scored at nearly the same clip as they allowed goals. They posted the best overall PK and eighth overall goals against, while their scoring both overall and on the power play was about average. However, their PK was very leaky in against the Panthers, and the Flyers’ PP was unbelievably good against Pittsburgh.
The Devils should be riding high after closing out a hard-fought series though. The rivalry has taken a backseat lately, but it should perk up starting on Sunday. Don’t count this series as over just because the Devils don’t appear to be as dangerous as some of the others in the East. They won six straight to close out the season, then three of the first four games in the opening round before losing a pair and finally winning game 7.
Should they keep winning, the Flyers’ path to a Stanley Cup may be on an all-Atlantic trajectory. To get to the promised land, they’ll have to beat the Penguins, Devils, then the winner of the Rangers-Capitals series. That’s not to say either remaining Eastern Conference series is a foregone conclusion.
From the start, the night appeared to be a win-win for the Flyers. If the Senators won, the Rangers would be out. I’d like nothing more than to see the Flyers get through the Rangers in the ECF en route to a Cup, but we know they couldn’t win so much as a game against New York this season, so we wouldn’t have been too upset to see them out. When and if the time comes, we’ll be pumped to see the Flyers turn it around against the Rags though.
With a Rangers win, the Flyers would face the winner of what was considered to be one of the weaker matchups in the playoffs. The NHL’s weighted system saw the Panthers hold the three seed with just 94 points, which was only sixth best in the conference. New Jersey meanwhile had just two fewer points than the fifth seeded Flyers—though one more regulation win.
Sunday 4/29 3PM Devils at Flyers
Tuesday 5/1 7:30PM Devils at Flyers
Thursday 5/3 7:30PM Flyers at Devils
Sunday 5/6 7:30PM Flyers at Devils
Tuesday 5/8 TBD Devils at Flyers*
Thursday 5/10 TBD Flyers at Devils*
Saturday 5/12 TBD Devils at Flyers*
*everyone knows what this asterisk means
Much more to come. We’re gonna call it a night now that the first round of the NFL draft is in the bag and we know who the Flyers will face…
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return