Aug 21, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
In coming up with the paint job for his new goaltender mask, Steve Mason wanted to combine his love of horror movies with some Philadelphia flavor. This is how we are getting the Zombie Declaration of Independence signing.
There isn’t a finished product to showcase just yet, but NHL.com brings us a cool video interview with Franny Drummond, the designer behind Mason’s new mask. Drummond gives us a peek into what it could look like upon completion with some mock-ups, including a sketch of a very scary Zombie Ben Franklin.
Here’s the scoop:
One side of the mask will feature a zombie form of Ross, the famed Revolutionary War-era seamstress, sewing an American flag while backlit by a lone candle and what Drummond called “an eerie fireplace” that leaves her with an orange glow.
The other side will have zombie versions of Washington and Franklin, along with other zombies around the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. Across the top will be a Flyers logo tweaked to go with the zombie motif.
Drummond gives NHL.com tons more detail, so if you fancy yourself a connoisseur of goalie masks, you’ll want to read what Mason has in store for us this season. You can also check out the vid below to see some of the artwork.
Always love a good Philly-themed mask, and this one is certainly unique. Mason definitely already gets an ‘A’ for creativity.
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money