Up in Adirondack: Schenn and Couturier Are Pretty Much the Team; Plus, a Phantoms-to-Allentown Update
Nov 8, 2012, 11:38 AM EDT
Well, they don’t score much.
The Phantom’s 23 markers in nine games put them in the bottom 10 of the AHL in the goals for category.
As you’ll see on the chart to the right, Braydon Schenn and Sean Couturier lead the team in points. Actually, their 21 combined matches the total of the next six guys combined. And after that, nobody on the team has more than two to their name.
That last part would also help explain why the pair is also a combined -9 (Schenn -6, Couturier -3).
Despite including a whole host of guys who saw time with the Flyers last year — Schenn, Couturier, Erik Gustafsson, Ben Holmstrom, Harry Zolnierczyk, Zac Rinaldo, Brandon Manning, Eric Wellwood and Marc-Andre Bourdon (paints!) — the Phantoms are off to a slow start at 4-5, 13th in the Eastern Conference.
Sam Carchidi caught up with coach Terry Murray:
“I think some of them thought, ‘Maybe this (the lockout) is going to end a little faster than what I was expecting, and I’m going to be gone in a couple days,’” Murray said. “But the players have gathered themselves and they’re settling in.”
Another year in Glens Falls?
Phantoms relocation updates tend to fly under the radar. Some of you expressed that you didn’t even know the team was moving again when we broached this subject last time.
“The Allentown Neighborhood Improvement Zone Development Authority finally secured the funds to build the complex last week. The arena is expected to open in time for the 2014-15 season, which opens the door to a possible fifth season in Glens Falls.”
The article also states the club has until May to renew its lease at the Civic Center for an additional year. After that, the city plans to look for a new team that will replace the Phantoms.
Minor league scrum
Video from the team’s 4-0 win over the Albany Devils on Nov. 3, in which the announcer blames the referee:
This is what we’re settling for right now in terms of a hockey fix.
Obligatory Dax shot
photo via the Adirondack Regional Chamber of Commerce
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
|Scott B on What happens on April 4th,…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return