Jun 19, 2012, 3:09 PM EDT
Last week, we detailed the bizarre series of events surrounding James van Riemsdyk. Amid reports he was putting off surgery to hold up a potential trade, GM Paul Holmgren revealed an infection was to blame for the delay, and days later we learned van Riemsdyk would not have surgery at all.
On Monday, Sarah Baicker again got to the bottom of the JVR story, and she says there is no conspiracy. Holmgren explained opinions on Riemer’s hip simply changed, that’s all.
“We wanted what’s best for James,” Holmgren said. “… He didn’t miss a game last year because of a hip issue. He had other things that went on, obviously, a broken foot, a concussion. He had an oblique strain. Another strain in his rib cage.
“There’s an area of concern there [in his hip] that’s been identified, and we’re just going to move forward right now and deal with it. I don’t have a crystal ball to say when it will pop up. We have other players, quite frankly, over the last few years who have similar issues that still are playing and still have not had it addressed.”
So there you have it. Now, that doesn’t exactly clear up those trade rumors — though Homer addressed those to an extent as well — but don’t read too deeply into the change in treatment.
|wholesale Senior Bow… on ‘Who’s That Guy?…|
|clubberlangphila on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|Renee on Steve Mason will start Game 4…|
|Renee on At least Evan Turner didn…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money