Mar 30, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
Every hockey fan knows who Zdeno Chara is. At 6’9”, you can’t
miss the Boston Bruins’ defenseman. Neither did Brayden Schenn on Saturday,
chopping down the six-time All Star during a 3-1 Flyers’ victory.
Chara may have placed the target on his own back after
getting into a scuffle with brother Luke late in the first period. Brayden
finally caught the enormous blueliner in a compromising position in the second,
toppling the giant much to color man Keith Jones’ delight. Coatesy added a “Timberrrrrr!!!”
B. Schenn also might have been energized by snapping a
10-game pointless streak four minutes into the game. He helped keep the NHL’s
top power play rolling with a nifty pass from below the goal line to Mike
Knuble, the crafty veteran drifting into the slot to net his second in as many games.
The final line on Schenn included seven hits total and 9-for-13
on faceoffs. It was easily the 21-year-old’s best performance in quite some time,
which one can only hope is a sign of things to come.
Matt Read, another of the club’s struggling second-year
players, ended a drought of his own. He lit the lamp for the first time since
February 18 to put the Flyers ahead 2-0.
The Bruins managed to climb within one in the third period,
but Orange & Black would slam the door with an empty netter.
Also of note, Oliver Lauridsen looked fine in his first NHL
start. He took a penalty on his first shift, but quickly settled down. He
finished with three blocked shots, three hits, made a few nifty plays, and
fired a shot on a goal in 17-plus minutes of ice time.
The win probably doesn’t mean a lot in the grand scheme, but
if nothing else it was good to see some of the young guys finally making things
happen. We all want the organization to stand behind a kid like Brayden Schenn,
and it’s nice to be rewarded with a big game once in awhile.
>> BOX SCORE [Yahoo!]
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Mungman on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money