Oct 8, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
You may not be familiar with Inquirer columnist Mike Sielski by name, but you likely remember him from Craig Berube’s introductory press conference on Monday.
Sielski was the one who asked Ed Snider about the perception created by hiring someone like Berube, who was “steeped” in a Flyers culture “that hasn’t won a Cup in 38 years.” That line of questioning prompted an already agitated Snider to become only more combative and eventually deliver his instantly famous “We don’t need a fresh perspective” line.
That exchange would lead Sielski to write a piece, published Tuesday, entitled “Flyers’ culture needs to start anew.” Here’s an excerpt:
The Flyers’ lack of patience, their unwillingness to consider a longer view or embrace an innovation before it’s already become old hat, their reliance on the tired cliché of “Flyers hockey” – together, those factors have created a vicious cycle that has kept them from achieving their ultimate goal.
The foundations of their franchise, as Berube said, are “character, hard work, competitiveness” – intangibles that are meaningless without the necessary talent or tactics. They pat themselves on the back, as Snider did Monday, for doing whatever it takes, for acting immediately in the name of chasing championships. Still, they apparently never stop to wonder whether that very approach contributes to their failure to win another Cup.
Well, Berube either remembered Sielski or read the piece — or both — because their first postgame interaction on Tuesday night didn’t go so smoothly. Berube was asked to address Jay Rosehill’s four-minute penalty from the third period, which he said was “unacceptable.”
Sielski proceeded to ask if Berube had any punishment in mind, prompting the coach to respond:
“What do you want me to do? Spank him? Get lost. That talk’s stupid.”
The dismissive wave really makes it.
I’m excited for Chief to lead all active coaches in penalty minutes, although there are plenty of other beat writers I’d rather see him beat up first.
Maybe Sielski-Berube can be the new Panaccio-Pronger or Bryzgalov-everybody.
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return