Video: Jake Voracek Pulls Steve Oleksys Sweater over His Head, Punches Away in Old-Timey Hockey Fight
Apr 1, 2013, 2:02 AM EDT
Until Sunday night Jakub Voracek’s NHL fighting experience
was limited to a preseason scrum when he was just a pup with the Columbus Blue
Jackets. With that piece of knowledge, you would think he might’ve got more
than he bargained for when he tangled with Washington’s Steve Oleksy.
Well, yes and no.
I’m not sure how adept Jake is when it comes to pure hand-to-hand
combat, but he’s one hell of a strategist. Oleksy was the one in over his head,
or his sweater was at least, because that’s where Voracek pulled it. From there
it was swing away, and don’t try to say he only hit helmet, either – Oleksy skated
away with a cut.
On the plus side, somebody came to Claude Giroux’s defense
after a big hit this time. Many questioned the lack of response to a big hit on
the Flyers’ captain against the New York Islanders on Thursday night.
Then again, the altercation almost worked out very poorly
for Orange & Black. Aside from five for fighting, Voracek picked up an
instigator minor which also carries a 10-minute misconduct. And in a true tell
Jake doesn’t do this very often, he received an additional minor for fighting
while wearing a visor. D’oh!
The end result was two goals for the Capitals, which
probably should have cost Philly the game – all over a clean hit no less.
Scott Hartnell still nods in approvement. Giroux didn’t seem
too upset about it after the game, either. Actually, if he upped his game for
anybody in particular in the third period, my guess would be Jake for
He shouldn’t get used to it though. Voracek said it would be
his last fight of the year. Maybe it’s for the best now that the book is out on
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Mungman on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money