Dec 14, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Daily News beat writer Frank Seravalli has a detailed piece on the Frequent Flyers blog at Philly.com breaking down Chris Pronger’s recent injury history.
Though the concussion with which he has now been diagnosed was originally thought to have stemmed from his stick-blade-to-the-eye incident against Toronto in October, that now seems like only part of the story.
After all, the captain played in five games after returning from that initial injury, only to later come down with his mysterious “virus” that would later be found to be of the post-concussion variety. So exactly when and where did this concussion take place?
Seravalli’s account of the suspected incident during the Flyers recent trip to Phoenix:
Pronger was hit from the side, but went into the glass face first. He bounced off the glass and immediately fell to his knees and was slow to get up again. Pronger eventually re-joined the play, made a pass, and exited the ice.
Video of the play in question:
Though this hasn’t been confirmed by the team or Pronger as the specific hit that led to his current troubles, even the CSN guys were showing footage of the collision on last night’s telecast.
Whatever the root cause of his headaches and dizziness, the team will have to wait not only for Pronger’s head to clear, but also for his knee to heal after yet another surgery. While nothing has been announced, he is assumed out for next month’s Winter Classic against the Rangers.
As for a worrying rundown of those players across currently missing time to due the league’s rash of concussions and alike symptoms, James Mirtle of TSN and the Globe and Mail in Canada provides this list of just those who could be considered high-profile:
|IlliniGlory on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|sfsu on The Phillies plan to ask MLB t…|
|sfsu on Should Ray Emery or Steve Maso…|
|sfsu on Ray Emery will go again for Fl…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money